Flexibility & Adaptability for Call Centers Nationwide
When creating, as we titled it, “The Non-Call Center Call Center” establishing objectives was critical. Creating a culture of empowerment and service, while providing physical typologies and interrelationships that reinforce these new processes was critical to the success of the new centers. Empowerment, transparency, a customer service mindset and ownership were also critical. The design team accomplished this by integrating technology throughout, providing centralized meeting spaces with flexible furniture to allow for “learning labs,” providing a large community commons space for training and meeting and relaxing spaces, while locating support spaces at the core which maximized the infusion of natural light.
Impact measures the results of your new workplace in several ways: how the workplace supports the fundamental human needs of your staff, how it supports a variety of activities and work styles, and to what extent it helps staff be comfortable, satisfied, and effective. It also has organizational impacts that affect the business as a whole and when done correctly, can improve the health and efficiency of the organization. The following are findings that support the overall success of Republic Services new spaces:
- Since the three call centers have been in operation, employee turnover rates have gone from between 35-40% down to less than 10%.
- Recruitment costs have been significantly diminished due to employees encouraging friends and interested candidates to join Republic Services. Republic feels this is largely due in part to the new work environments and the culture they help create.
- When recruiting for supervisory and managerial positions, Republic has tracked that the design and company culture have improved acceptance rates amongst candidates.
- As stated previously, the culture shift sought after due to both the plan to consolidate and the space design have created the one company culture that Republic was seeking.
- Based on post occupancy evaluation comments, employees love how open and flexible the office space is. They enjoy being able to choose how and where to do the work.
Again, a successful post occupancy story cannot be achieved unless a ground-breaking project is the catalyst for its inception. We believe that the results presented solidify the project’s success.